- Washington Redskins Announce 2017 Preseason Opponents
- Redskins Sign Former Colts Linebacker Chris Carter
- Redskins Clear cap Space by Releasing Ricky Jean Francois
- Terrelle Pryor is Focused on Opportunity to Prove Himself With Redskins
- Redskins Officially Hire New Defensive Backs Coach Torrian Gray
- Daily Recap: Redskins D-Line Needs Mesh Well With Strength of the Upcoming Draft; Montravius Adams To The Redskins at 17?
- Daily Recap: Only 2 Teams got Fewer Snaps From Their Rookies in 2016; Is Vanderbilt LB Zach Cunningham a Possibility at 17?
- Virginia Governor Claims New Redskins Stadium Can Be Built Without Taxpayer Dollars
- Redskins Injury Report: Gruden Gives Update on Josh Doctson, Jordan Reed and Su’a Cravens
- Daily Recap: Matt Cavanaugh Says “Don’t Expect Much to Change on Offense”; Could Ohio St Safety Malik Hooker Fall to Redskins?
Keys to the Game: Bears vs Redskins
- Updated: October 20, 2013
Bears vs Redskins
The Washington Redskins will play host to the Chicago Bears at FedEx Field this week, below are five keys to the game for the Redskins.
1 – Redskins Special Teams must step up – The Redskins have struggled this year on special teams and last weekend gave up two huge returns against the Dallas Cowboys that likely sealed their fate in a loss. This weekend the Redskins will be facing perhaps the best return man in the history of the NFL in Devin Hester and they will have to find a way to contain him and keep him out of the endzone. If the Redskins can’t contain Hester they will be in for a long day.
2 – The Redskins must establish the running game – The Bears have some injuries up front on defense and have been susceptible to the run this year, Washington must find a way to run the ball early and often. Alfred Morris needs to have a big day for the Redskins offense to be successful. I expect to see the read-option used in certain situations to aid in the process and Redskins qb Robert Griffin III looked like he was ready to run the ball more last weekend against the Cowboys as well. If Griffin is able to move the ball on the ground himself he should single handling open up the passing offense for Washington and keep the Chicago defense honest. Many teams this year have been stacking the box against Washington, daring RG3 to run the ball, which until last weekend he didn’t look highly comfortable doing.
3 – The Redskins Need to be more effective in the red-zone – Last week against the Cowboys the Redskins showed that they could move the ball up and down the field fairly easy, the issues came once they made it inside the Cowboys 20. The Redskins had to settle for field goals instead of touchdowns and it cost Washington a win. To have 433 yards of offense and only one touchdown to show for it is unacceptable. The Redskins will be facing a Chicago team that is giving up 26.8 points a game, which is seventh worst in the NFL.
4 – The Redskins secondary must show up – The Redskins secondary looked much improved against Dallas last week holding Tony Romo under 200 yards passing just one week removed from a 506 yard, 5 TD day. DeAngelo Hall will have to have another good day at the office much like the one he had last week when he pretty much shutdown Dez Bryant as he will be facing Brandon Marshall, which is no easy task at all. The Bears also have another dynamic receiver in Alshon Jeffery and will look to use him along with Devin Hester to attempt to pick on the Redskins secondary. The last time Jay Cutler faced Washington he threw 4 interceptions to D Hall, which tied an NFL record.
5 – Better communication and clock management – Mike Shanahan spent a good portion of the last week trying to downplay the issues his team displayed against Dallas, but it was obvious the communications with Griffin, the sideline and his receivers was off a week ago which lead to drives stalling out. The team just looked like they were not paying attention to the clock at all in certain situations and once called timeout after letting several seconds tick off the clock. With all the other aspects of things that haven’t exactly been working in Washington’s favor, this is one key the Redskins must master and soon if they want to be effective at all this season.
Incoming search terms:
- redskins vs bears
- redskins vs bears logo