- Ryan Kerrigan has Knee Procedure, Will Miss Some Time
- Redskins Add Six Players, Release Five
- Redskins Sign Five Tryout Players
- REPORT: Redskins Will Not Re-Sign Santana Moss
- 2015 Redskins Roster – Offensive Line
- Redskins Agree to Terms With Nine Drafted Players
- Redskins Start Process of Signing Drafted Players
- 2015 Redskins Draft Class: Assigned Numbers
Brian Orakpo Signs Redskins Franchise Tender
- Updated: March 27, 2014
Brian Orakpo Signs
Washington Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo has signed his one-year franchise tender.
After failing to come to a long-term agreement with the 13th pick in the 2009 draft, the Redskins gave Orakpo the franchise tag and a one-year salary worth $11.455 million. Orakpo said that he intends to sign a long term deal with the team but that both sides couldn’t find medium ground.
Orakpo, who has led the Redskins in sacks in 4 of his 5 pro seasons, recorded 10 sacks last season, which was his second double-digit sack year.
New Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden mentioned at the owners meeting earlier this week that Orakpo was someone the team intended on keeping around.
“Pass rushers don’t grow on trees, and at the time we did it we weren’t sure what pass rushers would be available. There was still a chance for Seattle to franchise [Michael] Bennett, or some of the top pass rushers out there we weren’t sure who would be available. So, we thought it was very important to take care of one of our own, who we groomed and coached up, and also the fact that pass rushers don’t grow on trees. We thought it was very important we got one and we’re happy with Brian.”
— Washington Redskins (@Redskins) March 27, 2014