- Redskins Hire First Female Head Physician in NFL History
- Redskins Sign Last Draft Pick CB Kendall Fuller; Sign WR Jarvis Turner
- Redskins Release Training Camp Schedule; Will Begin July 28, 2016
- Redskins Rookie WR Josh Doctson Q & A Interview (VIDEO)
- Jordan Reed Named Number 77, “NFL Top 100 of 2016” (VIDEO)
- Redskins Sign six of Seven Draft Picks
- Redskins Weekly News Roundup 5-10-2016
- Welcome to DC – 2016 Redskins Draft Class (VIDEO)
- Redskins Select LB/Safety Su’a Cravens with 53rd Pick
- Redskins Select WR Josh Doctson with the 22nd Pick
Brian Orakpo Signs Redskins Franchise Tender
- Updated: March 27, 2014
Brian Orakpo Signs
Washington Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo has signed his one-year franchise tender.
After failing to come to a long-term agreement with the 13th pick in the 2009 draft, the Redskins gave Orakpo the franchise tag and a one-year salary worth $11.455 million. Orakpo said that he intends to sign a long term deal with the team but that both sides couldn’t find medium ground.
Orakpo, who has led the Redskins in sacks in 4 of his 5 pro seasons, recorded 10 sacks last season, which was his second double-digit sack year.
New Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden mentioned at the owners meeting earlier this week that Orakpo was someone the team intended on keeping around.
“Pass rushers don’t grow on trees, and at the time we did it we weren’t sure what pass rushers would be available. There was still a chance for Seattle to franchise [Michael] Bennett, or some of the top pass rushers out there we weren’t sure who would be available. So, we thought it was very important to take care of one of our own, who we groomed and coached up, and also the fact that pass rushers don’t grow on trees. We thought it was very important we got one and we’re happy with Brian.”
— Washington Redskins (@Redskins) March 27, 2014