- Dexter Manley to be Featured on NFL Network’s “A Football Life”
- David Amerson Working Hard to Improve After Sophomore Slump
- Charles Mann Receives College Degree
- Redskins License Plate Collection
- Final Person Sentenced in Sean Taylor Murder Trial
- Redskins Will Have Ticket Lottery for Texans Training Camp Visit
- Robert Griffin III Focused on Continuing his Growth as a QB
- Redskins Minicamp Recap – Day 1
- Redskins Press Conferences: Jay Gruden 6-16-2015
- Will Duke Ihenacho or Jeron Johnson Start at Strong Safety?
Brian Orakpo Signs Redskins Franchise Tender
- Updated: March 27, 2014
Brian Orakpo Signs
Washington Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo has signed his one-year franchise tender.
After failing to come to a long-term agreement with the 13th pick in the 2009 draft, the Redskins gave Orakpo the franchise tag and a one-year salary worth $11.455 million. Orakpo said that he intends to sign a long term deal with the team but that both sides couldn’t find medium ground.
Orakpo, who has led the Redskins in sacks in 4 of his 5 pro seasons, recorded 10 sacks last season, which was his second double-digit sack year.
New Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden mentioned at the owners meeting earlier this week that Orakpo was someone the team intended on keeping around.
“Pass rushers don’t grow on trees, and at the time we did it we weren’t sure what pass rushers would be available. There was still a chance for Seattle to franchise [Michael] Bennett, or some of the top pass rushers out there we weren’t sure who would be available. So, we thought it was very important to take care of one of our own, who we groomed and coached up, and also the fact that pass rushers don’t grow on trees. We thought it was very important we got one and we’re happy with Brian.”
— Washington Redskins (@Redskins) March 27, 2014