- Redskins Practice Notes, Quotes & Injury Report 10-29-2014
- Redskins Press Conferences: Jay Gruden 10-29-2014
- Bashaud Breeland Showed Signs of Greatness Against Dallas
- Redskins Notes & Quotes 10-28-2014
- Colt McCoy Returns to Texas, Beats Cowboys
- NRG Energy Pre-Game Report – Redskins vs Cowboys Week 8
- Report: Colt McCoy to Start Against Cowboys on MNF
- Redskins Injury Report Week 8
- Redskins Quotes From the Week
- Robert Griffin III Gives Statement, Ends by Saying “Beat Dallas”
Flashback Friday: Charles Mann and Dexter Manley
- Updated: March 8, 2013
When Redskins fans think of the defenses in the 1980′s their minds all rush to the memories of Charles Mann and Dexter Manley (not to forget Dave Butz at all, in fact expect to see Butz featured on Flashback Friday in the future). While Manley was the bigger character and overall all better pass rusher, Mann was a consistent leader that showed up every year and gave Pro Bowl caliber seasons year after year.
Charles Andre Mann played in 163 games over the span of an 11 year career in Washington that netted him 82 sacks, and 784 tackles as a Redskins player. Mann was a born leader who was drafted in the third round of the 1983 draft by the Redskins. His best year was in 1985 when he registered 14.5 sacks and 85 tackles.
Dexter Keith Manley (A.K.A. “The Secretary of Defense”) was a guy, who unlike Mann, was out spoken and a bit cocky. In his 125 games that spanned 9 seasons, Manley recorded 91 sacks, he had 18.5 in 1986, his best year. Although his career is tainted in some ways due to his battles with drugs and crime away from the football field, Manley is still held close to the hearts of Redskins fans.
Together these two men combined for 173 sacks and are number one, and number two on the Redskins all-time sack leaders list. Both were selected to the 70 Greatest Redskins of all-time team and both are members of the Washington Redskins Ring of Fame.
So the question is…which one was better? What’s your opinion?
Incoming search terms:
- dexter manley
- charles mann football camp
- charles man and dexter Manley videos