- Redskins Select Chase Young With 2nd Overall Pick | 2020 NFL Draft
- Redskins Free Agency: Ron Rivera Starts his Rebuild in the Bargain bin
- Redskins Sign Former Falcons Guard Wes Schweitzer
- Redskins Re-signing LB Jon Bostic; Ereck Flowers Signs With Dolphins
- Ron Rivera & Kyle Smith Speak at 2020 NFL Scouting Combine
- Rated Redskins Radio: Bruce Allen and Head Trainer Larry Hess Fired, Ron Rivera Hired
Lombardi’s Redskins | The Story of 1969 “The Forgotten Year”
The Story of 1969 “The Forgotten Year”
“Lombardi’s Redskins, The Story of 1969″ documents the moment one of the game’s greatest coach’s arrived in Washington and saved a struggling franchise – all in the midst of the cultural upheaval of 1969.
Hosted and narrated by broadcast journalist Dan Rather, Lombardi’s Redskins details Vince Lombardi’s lone season as the head coach of the Washington Redskins. After five NFL championship titles with the Green Bay Packers, Lombardi came to the nation’s capital, mirroring the arrival of Richard Nixon as President of the United States and amid political and social turmoil. This one-hour show tells the story of the 1969 Washington Redskins and features interviews with former players such as Sonny Jurgensen, Brig Owens, and Bob Long as well as Lombardi’s children.
Among the topics discussed in Lombardi’s Redskins are:
- Vince Lombardi’s arrival in Washington as Redskins head coach coinciding with Richard Nixon’s arrival as President
- Lombardi’s acceptance of gay players Ray McDonald, Jerry Smith and Dave Kopay
- Bob Long joining the Redskins following a major car accident
- Starting the 1969 season 4-1-1 and then winning only one game in November
- Redskins players who served on National Guard duty during the NFL season and had to handle the largest anti-war protest in United States history
- Lombardi’s failing health and passing away in 1970
The full documentary is below…Hail to the Redskins!