- NRG Energy Pre-Game Report – Redskins vs Cardinals Week 13
- NRG Energy Pre-Game Report – Redskins vs Cowboys Week 12
- NRG Energy Pre-Game Report – Redskins vs Packers Week 11
- Redskins Legend Joe Jacoby Named Semifinalist for Hall of Fame
- Redskins Rookie WR Maurice Harris Ready to Contribute
- Redskins Press Conferences: Kirk Cousins 11-16-2016
- Redskins Sign Dashaun Phillips to Practice Squad; Release Carlos Fields
- Kirk Cousins Most Recent Career Milestone Ranks High in Redskins History
- Redskins Press Conferences: Kirk Cousins 11-13-2016
- NRG Energy Pre-Game Report – Redskins vs Vikings Week 10
Brian Orakpo Will Appeal NFL’s ban on his Customized Face Mask
- Updated: August 13, 2013
Washington Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo said Monday he finds it “disheartening” that the league will not permit him to wear a customized face mask on his helmet during games.
Orakpo confirmed that he and other NFL players had been informed by the league they cannot wear such “grill-style” face masks.
“I have to make a switch just for the time being, after all that work,” Orakpo said at the Redskins’ training camp. “But, you know, the league is funny about trying to alter stuff. We’re still trying to fight it. But they obviously denied everybody. You had a lot of guys –myself, [Robert] Mathis, Darnell Dockett. There’s a lot of guys that got denied. It was pretty disheartening. But I’ll be all right.”
The league reportedly will allow players to wear such non-standard face masks if they have a medical reason for doing so. Justin Tuck of the New York Giants, and the Baltimore Ravens’ Chris Canty reportedly have received medical clearance to wear their non-standard versions.
“I don’t know,” Orakpo said. “It’s kind of tough. Obviously it’s different. And it does have a sort of look appeal to it. But it’s also for protection as well. We’re supposed to be all about protection and we get denied for something that benefits us. It’s something that’s kind of disheartening.”
Orakpo said he hasn’t given up yet on attempting to appeal the decision.
“Hopefully we can,” he said. “We’re obviously in the process right now of trying to get it cleared again. But right now we’re denied so we just have to go with what they say.”