- Redskins Sign Former Colts Linebacker Chris Carter
- Redskins Clear cap Space by Releasing Ricky Jean Francois
- Terrelle Pryor is Focused on Opportunity to Prove Himself With Redskins
- Redskins Officially Hire New Defensive Backs Coach Torrian Gray
- Daily Recap: Redskins D-Line Needs Mesh Well With Strength of the Upcoming Draft; Montravius Adams To The Redskins at 17?
- Daily Recap: Only 2 Teams got Fewer Snaps From Their Rookies in 2016; Is Vanderbilt LB Zach Cunningham a Possibility at 17?
- Virginia Governor Claims New Redskins Stadium Can Be Built Without Taxpayer Dollars
- Redskins Injury Report: Gruden Gives Update on Josh Doctson, Jordan Reed and Su’a Cravens
- Daily Recap: Matt Cavanaugh Says “Don’t Expect Much to Change on Offense”; Could Ohio St Safety Malik Hooker Fall to Redskins?
- Redskins Announce Coaching Staff Changes
Preseason Game Four: Redskins vs. Bucs (2011)
- Updated: September 1, 2011
Redskins vs. Bucs
We are coming down the stretch run now in the preseason as the Redskins are slated to face the Tampa Bay Bucs on Thursday night in what will be the final preseason game.
Some may think the coaches already pretty much know who is going to make the team, some may think that a lot of the positions are still up for grabs. The truth will not be known for a few more days but when the smoke clears, Washington will be poised to prove some doubters wrong this season. That being said, everyone should still be focused on the offensive line play in these games as it cannot be anymore true that as they go this season, the Redskins will follow. The game against Tampa Bay will be the first time Ryan Torain will see action this preseason as he is coming back to find himself caught in the middle of an all of a sudden, deep backfield. Tim Hightower has been looking like a natural fit in Mike Shanahans system this preseason and rookie running backs Evan Royster and Roy Helu have been showing sparks as well.
Brandon Banks will be seeing playing time for the first time since the first preseason game. The only thing in my eyes that may hold Banks back from making the team this year is his nagging knee injury and the fact that he isn’t a guy who can play wide receiver like some of the guys he is in competition with.
Some question marks that I have include, just how hurt is Laron Landry? Will he be ready for week 1? If Laron can’t go week 1 against the Giants then Reed Doughty looks to be the guy who will have to step in at strong safety.
This game will probably be a game we see a lot of John Beck in, I for one want to see as much out of him as we possibly can. The thing about the Beck vs Grossman qb battle is that we all know what Rex brings to the table as most of us have seen him try to force the issue in close games and turn the ball over, but little is known about just how John Beck will react to those same situations. It has appeared that the offense looks energized when he is on the field this preseason and he appears to know the system rather well, Rex has also looked rather impressive for the most part this year and has played like a solid veteran, which is going to make the decision on who starts this year a very difficult call.
The strength of the Redskins this year will most certainly come from the defensive side of the ball and this last preseason game may prove to be a make or break moment for some of the rookies who are trying to make the roster. Should be interesting who steps into Jarvis Jenkins role now that he is out for the season with a torn ACL.
One thing is for certain, it’s time for a some guys to step up in this last preseason game if they want to make the 53 man roster this year.