- Reviewing Scot McCloughan’s First Moves & the Road Ahead
- Redskins Release Barry Cofield, Stephen Bowen Save $9.7 Million
- Redskins Sign Defensive End Ricky Jean-Francois
- Top 5 Most Underrated Washington Redskins of All-Time
- Redskins Make Change to DeAngelo Hall’s Contract
- Sean Taylor Book “Going Full Speed” as Told by Pedro Taylor to Come out in Spring
Redskins Cut 5 Players Including Adam Carriker and Sav Rocca
- Updated: March 4, 2014
Redskins Cut 5 Players
One day after the Washington Redskins placed the franchise tag on Brian Orakpo the team cut ties with five players. The five players are defensive end Adam Carriker, punter Sav Rocca, runningback’s Jawan Jamison and Davin Meggett, and tight end Robert Quinn. Adam Carriker was set to make nearly $6.5 million dollars next season despite not playing since week 2 of the 2012 season, following several setbacks and surgeries. Just last week Carriker spoke out saying he was optimistic on his return to the Redskins this season.
Redskins released DE Adam Carriker with a “Failed Physical” designation — Brian McIntyre (@brian_mcintyre) March 4, 2014
The Redskins will clear $4.8 million in cap by releasing the five players but after figuring the amount it will cost to fill the roster spots now vacant, they will save around $3.3 million.
It should not surprise anyone that Sav Rocca is being released, it surprised me more last off-season when he was re-signed. As I’ve said in the past, 40+ years old and his numbers are near the bottom of the league (ranked 30th in average (42.0) and 33rd in net (33.8) last season) not to mention the half dozen or so shanked kicks over the last couple of years…time to move in a different direction. Sav leaves but one truly great highlight as he will forever be remembered for this play: