- Rated R Radio: Episode 8 – Current State of The Redskins: Post-Case Keenum Trade (PODCAST)
- Rated R Radio: Episode 7 – Josh Rosen Trade Rumors at the Combine?; DK Metcalf is a BEAST!
- Rated R Radio: Episode 6 – AAF, Stadiums and Redskins Free Agency? Oh My…
- Rated R Radio: Episode 5 – 100% Doom & Gloom Free Redskins Talk
- Redskins Hire Ray Horton as New Defensive Backs Coach
- Rated R Radio: Episode 4 – Who Stays, Who Goes? (PODCAST)
Washington Redskins Select RB Matt Jones With the 95th Pick (2015 NFL Draft)
- Updated: May 1, 2015
Redskins Select RB Matt Jones With the 95th Pick
After trading back in the third round from pick number 69, the Washington Redskins selected University of Florida runningback Matt Jones with the 95th pick (third round) in the 2015 NFL Draft.
Jones (6-2, 231 lbs) is a big, downhill type of runner that has good hands, and is a perfect third-down back. Jones can list pass protection as a strength on his resume’ as well.
Jones joins a backfield that already include Alfred Morris, Silas Redd, Chris Thompson and Michael Hill. He looks to be the “bruiser” of the bunch.
Imposing size with muscular frame. Above-average swivel in hips and perimeter quickness for runner his size. Pistons for feet, chomping and churning through contact to extend run. Has slippery lower body with angle-tackle attempts sliding off. Keeps shoulders square to line for maximum power. Plays with forward lean and is difficult to stop for a loss. Used sparingly as a pass-catcher, but flashes capable hands if asked to do so in the pros. Aggressive in protection, squaring up and striking a blow against free-running blitzer.
“Big ol’ dude. We always reserve a place for chain movers on our depth chart, so he does some of the things that we like, even if he’s limited.” — AFC area scout
Jay Gruden to reporters says that Matt Jones is a downhill, smash-mouth type of running back. Different than what they’ve had. Again, SIZE.
— Chris Russell (@Russellmania980) May 2, 2015
Gruden says Alfred Morris remains the guy, but that Jones will help spell him.
— Mike Jones (@MikeJonesWaPo) May 2, 2015
Below are a few videos featuring Jones: