- NRG Energy Pre-Game Report – Redskins vs Giants Week 3
- Washington Redskins Notes & Quotes Week 2
- NRG Energy Pre-Game Report – Redskins vs Cowboys Week 2
- NRG Energy Pre-Game Report – Redskins vs Steelers Week 1
- Redskins Announce Fan Information For MNF Season Opener
- Redskins Press Conference: Jay Gruden 9-5-2016
- Redskins Sign RB Mack Brown, 8 Others to Practice Squad
- Redskins 2016 Official 53-Man Roster: Post-Cuts Analysis
- NRG Energy Pre-Game Report – Redskins vs Bucs Preseason Week 4
- Preseason Week 3 Observations Redskins vs Bills
Redskins vs Bucs: Observations From Preseason Week 4
- Updated: August 29, 2013
Redskins vs Bucs: Observations
The Washington Redskins ended their preseason with another victory defeating the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 30-12. The win was the fourth of the preseason for the Redskins and gave them their first undefeated preseason since 1985.
– Chris Thompson likely made the Washington Redskins 53-man roster on Thursday night. He returned a punt 69 yards for a touchdown and made his case for the opening at returner that was left wide open when Richard Crawford went down last week with ACL, LCL and MCL injuries. Shanahan likes this kids quickness and has been giving hints about liking him at punt returner for a few days now. Thompson also gives the Redskins the opportunity to run the outside option a little more effectively with his scat-back type cutting ability and agility. Lets hope Thompson is done with his fumbling issue he showed in preseason. Thompson said after the game, “I’ll definitely be more confident when I go to sleep tonight.”
– Pat White played the entire game in what appeared to be his audition to the rest of the league. It’s a forgone conclusion that White will likely not make the team but this game gave him a very good opportunity to show what he has to the league. White’s night: 13/22 181 yards and an interception with seven carries for 20 yards and 1 touchdown rushing. In White’s words, “I don’t believe I did anything to hurt my chances, but I’m not really sure if I did anything to help them either.”
– David Amerson continues to improve as he recorded an interception and played well in coverage. Amerson could very well challenge for a starting cornerback spot by mid-season.
– Evan Royster’s stock rose during this game, as he carried the ball 11 times for 59 yards and a touchdown. Keiland Williams left the game with a shoulder injury which could in fact have put Williams on the bubble and Royster on the 53-man roster. The Redskins will likely keep 4 runningbacks which would mean Williams and Jawan Jamison could be on the outside looking in, Jamison will be eligible for the practice squad.
– Dezmon Briscoe had a nice short pass that he turned into 66 yard play. Briscoe lakes speed but still found a way to get a huge chunk of YAC (yards after the catch) on the play. Problem is Briscoe injured his shoulder and left the game without returning. Briscoe was thought to be in competition for the 6th wide receiver spot with Lance Lewis (if the Redskins keep 6 receivers that is). The shoulder injury puts Briscoe in jeopardy of not making the team.
– Dr. James Andrews evaluated Robert Griffin III and as Shanahan said after the game, he cleared Griffin although Shanny said he had a few things to talk over with Robert this weekend before he would share the recommendations that Andrews made for Griffin with the public.
– The Redskins defense had one sack tonight as Rob Jackson got to the quarterback before halftime. The defense recorded four turnovers, a number that needs to carry over into the regular season.
– The Redskins will now take the next day to evaluate who exactly they want on the 53-man roster for the 2013 season and will announce the next wave of roster cuts on Saturday, August 31 by 6:00pm EST.