- Redskins Sign Former Colts Linebacker Chris Carter
- Redskins Clear cap Space by Releasing Ricky Jean Francois
- Terrelle Pryor is Focused on Opportunity to Prove Himself With Redskins
- Redskins Officially Hire New Defensive Backs Coach Torrian Gray
- Daily Recap: Redskins D-Line Needs Mesh Well With Strength of the Upcoming Draft; Montravius Adams To The Redskins at 17?
- Daily Recap: Only 2 Teams got Fewer Snaps From Their Rookies in 2016; Is Vanderbilt LB Zach Cunningham a Possibility at 17?
- Virginia Governor Claims New Redskins Stadium Can Be Built Without Taxpayer Dollars
- Redskins Injury Report: Gruden Gives Update on Josh Doctson, Jordan Reed and Su’a Cravens
- Daily Recap: Matt Cavanaugh Says “Don’t Expect Much to Change on Offense”; Could Ohio St Safety Malik Hooker Fall to Redskins?
- Redskins Announce Coaching Staff Changes
RG3 to Have ACL & LCL Surgery
- Updated: January 9, 2013
RG3 to Have ACL & LCL Surgery
Robert Griffin III will undergo reconstructive knee surgery on his torn anterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his right knee. A time table of six to eight months has been set (barring any setback).
The timetable means RG3 will be ready to play by the beginning of next years football season, according to team sources familiar with the determination made by orthopedic specialist Dr. James Andrews.
RG3 was diagnosed late Tuesday with the knee injuries. He suffered a complete tear of the graft that was used to repair the same knee in 2009 during his sophomore year at Baylor University. A team source said Dr. Andrews likely will use a patella graft from Griffin’s left knee to repair the most recent tear.
Griffin will participate in a rehabilitation program that will include focusing on strengthening his quadriceps to help protect and stabilize his knee. Under this projected time frame of surgery, recovery and rehab, Griffin should be able to participate at some level during training camp in August and be ready to open the season in September.
Chris Mortenson from ESPN first reported the news on twitter:
Redskins QB Robert Griffin III will undergo total reconstruction of knee for complete tear of ACL and LCL. Recovery projection: 6-8 mos.
— Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) January 9, 2013
UPDATED — Wednesday, 1-9-2013, 2:30 pm
RG3’s knee procedure was a success.
R. Griffin’s surgery is completed, according to person close to situation. Griffin had both his LCL and ACL repaired.
— MarkMaske (@MarkMaske) January 9, 2013
Dr. James Andrews performed surgery this morning on Redskins QB Robert Griffin III and released the following statement:
“Robert Griffin III had successful knee surgery early this morning. He had a direct repair of his LCL and a re-do of his previous ACL reconstruction. We expect a full recovery and it is everybody’s hope and belief that due to Robert’s high motivation, he will be ready for the 2013 season.
The goal of his treatment is to give him the best opportunity for a long professional career.”