- Washington Redskins 2018 Madden Ratings
- Redskins LB Trent Murphy Will Miss the Entire 2017 Season With Torn ACL/MCL
- Redskins Injury Report: RB Keith Marshall Tore Right Patellar Tendon, Out for Season
- Washington Redskins Sign DB Jeremiah McKinnon, Release DB Lou Young III
- Redskins Training Camp 2017: Recap Day 1 (Videos)
- Washington Redskins Release Linebacker Houston Bates, Sign Tight End E.J. Bibbs
- Jordan Reed one of Four Redskins to Start Training Camp on PUP List
- Washington Redskins DeAngelo Hall, Houston Bates Will Begin Camp on PUP List
- Redskins QB Kirk Cousins Will Play Another Season on the Franchise Tag
- Washington Redskins Showcase Security & Menu Changes at 2017 Taste of FedexField
Redskins Draft 2017: Washington Selects LB Ryan Anderson at Pick 49
- Updated: April 28, 2017
Washington Selects LB Ryan Anderson at Pick 49
With their second-round pick (49th overall), the Washington Redskins have selected linebacker Ryan Anderson out of the University of Alabama. Anderson will fit nicely in new Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Manusky’s more aggressive scheme, and should play a major role with the burgundy and gold for years to come.
“Ryan, we’re very excited about. He brings an attitude to this football team. Having a chance to talk to him in Tuscaloosa, I spent a lot of time with him watching him play,” said head coach Jay Gruden. “Talking to a couple of his teammates – obviously we drafted one yesterday – nothing but high praise for him, not only on the field, but his leadership and his tenacity to get after people to play hard, play physical, [and] bring a style of play here that we’ve been looking for.”
Anderson (6-2, 253 pounds) was the second player Washington drafted this year, both were from the University of Alabama, and both big-time players. The Redskins selected defensive end Jonathan Allen with the 17th pick Thursday night. While Anderson was viewed by some as a 3rd-4th round prospect, others viewed him as possibly the most under-rated player on the Crimson Tide’s defense last season.
Ryan Anderson on ESPN980: “When I get on the field, [combine drills] has nothing to do with kicking a man’s ass in front of you.”
— ESPN 980 (@espn980) April 29, 2017
“It’s surreal, man. Like I said, it’s emotional,” said Anderson via phone interview. “Like I said, I just want to enjoy the rest of this night with my family… I’m a Washington Redskin.”
In only 13 starts in three years at Alabama (all his senior year), Anderson recorded 128 total tackles, 39.5 for loss with 19 sacks, three fumbles recovered and one interception that he returned 26 yards for a touchdown.
Last season, Anderson earned first-team All-SEC honors from the Associated Press following a senior campaign in which he registered 61 total tackles, a team-high 19.0 tackles for loss, 9.0 sacks, four forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and three pass breakups.
“Ryan Anderson is an explosive edge rusher. … He sets a physical edge. He converts speed to power better than any edge rusher in this draft. … He’s a leverage player. He gets underneath you and knocks your jock on the ground. I like him in the run game. I like his energy in the pass game and he’s an all-day sucker. Really good football player.” — Mike Mayock