- Redskins Training Camp 2017: Recap Day 1 (Videos)
- Washington Redskins Release Linebacker Houston Bates, Sign Tight End E.J. Bibbs
- Jordan Reed one of Four Redskins to Start Training Camp on PUP List
- Washington Redskins DeAngelo Hall, Houston Bates Will Begin Camp on PUP List
- Redskins QB Kirk Cousins Will Play Another Season on the Franchise Tag
- Washington Redskins Showcase Security & Menu Changes at 2017 Taste of FedexField
- Redskins WR Terrelle Pryor is Working Like a Mad-Man This Offseason (Video)
- DeAngelo Hall Agrees to Restructure Contract With Washington Redskins
- Washington Redskins Training Camp Will Start on July 27
- Redskins Draft 2017: Washington Selects Safety Josh Harvey-Clemons at Pick 230
DeAngelo Hall: “Players Questioned RGIII’s Benching” (Video)
- Updated: January 10, 2014
Washington Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall has never been one hold back when asked of his opinion. This week he was asked a series of questions on Fox Sports 1′s “Fox Football Daily” and Hall didn’t disappoint with the answers.
When asked if he could feel a problem in the locker like so many in the media have speculated about this was his response:
You know, it really didn’t get that feel until obviously the word came down that we were gonna bench RG for the last couple games to ‘protect’ him. A lot of guys in that locker room kind of raised the question, like why are we doing this? Kind of like what you heard Kyle say; I want my starting quarterback out there. A lot of the players in the locker room, those were their sentiments.
And it was on me, London and a lot of other leaders in that locker room to say look, we can’t worry about things that we can’t change. That came from the top down. There’s nothing we can do about that. All we can do is go out there, keep fighting, keep trying to go out there and get a win. And that’s what we tried to do.
Hall was also asked about the overly discussed relationship between RG3 and former head coach Mike Shanahan.
I wasn’t in meetings with them one-on-one, so I don’t know what was said one-on-one or in their offensive meetings. But when you see them together with the team, I mean, it didn’t seem like a bad situation at all. It wasn’t until obviously we saw that RG got benched for Kirk to ‘protect’ RG, so they say. And then it wasn’t until RG really spoke about it, saying I don’t think Mike likes me and things like that, that we in the locker room really started to notice it.
Hall was then asked whether RG3 has the capabilities to become a championship NFL quarterback.
Yeah, absolutely. Absolutely I think so. From the first day that kid came into that locker room, all he wanted to do is impress us, try to prove to us that he would do anything to help us win football games. It was never about him. It obviously seems like it’s about him, because he’s the face. I was on a team in Atlanta when Michael Vick was that face of the franchise, and back when he was rolling, it was no bigger star in the world than him. I can remember going to Tokyo for a preseason game; it was Peyton Manning and Mike, and Mike got more attention than Peyton.
So I’ve been around that, I’m familiar with that kind of person. And it’s the same kind of atmosphere in Washington, especially when you come off a 10-6 season where you’re winning, he’s hurt, he wants to be all-in For Week 1 and that whole kind of campaign kind of gets thrown out of whack. Was he ready? Probably not. But are you gonna tell the best guy on your team, the leader of your offense look, we’re going to hold you out? You know, we’re all trying to win football games, and that’s ultimately what it came down to.
You can watch the entire interview below.