- Redskins Officially Hire New Defensive Backs Coach Torrian Gray
- Daily Recap: Redskins D-Line Needs Mesh Well With Strength of the Upcoming Draft; Montravius Adams To The Redskins at 17?
- Daily Recap: Only 2 Teams got Fewer Snaps From Their Rookies in 2016; Is Vanderbilt LB Zach Cunningham a Possibility at 17?
- Virginia Governor Claims New Redskins Stadium Can Be Built Without Taxpayer Dollars
- Redskins Injury Report: Gruden Gives Update on Josh Doctson, Jordan Reed and Su’a Cravens
- Daily Recap: Matt Cavanaugh Says “Don’t Expect Much to Change on Offense”; Could Ohio St Safety Malik Hooker Fall to Redskins?
- Redskins Announce Coaching Staff Changes
- Redskins Re-Sign Veteran Long Snapper Nick Sundberg
- Chris Baker Wants to Return to the Redskins and Retire in Washington
- Daily Recap: Redskins O-Line Had 4th Fewest Sacks in 2016; Robert Kelley has Minor Knee Surgery
Redskins Draft Phillip Thomas With the 119th Pick in the Fourth Round
- Updated: April 27, 2013
The Washington Redskins used their first pick of the third day (119th overall) on safety Phillip Thomas from Fresno State.
Thomas was quoted just a few days ago saying he had already played in a the same exact system the Redskins use at Fresno.
Phillip Thomas is 6-0 1/2, 208 lbs and runs the 40 in 4.65. He had 84 tackles last year, 12 for loss and 4 sacks with 8 interceptions (led FBS) and returned 3 for touchdowns. Thomas will have a good shot at stating this year for the Redskins who have issues at free safety with Tanard Jackson’s situation still unknown at this point.
Athletic, physical defender. Strong tackler with good length and the attitude to throw down ballcarrier. Breaks down well when approaching ballcarriers in space, has quick feet and agility to make the stop.
Thomas is quick enough to stay with tight ends and some receivers in coverage, can undercut to knock away or pick off late throws.
He has nice ball skills to extend away from his frame to make the moderate-to-difficult interception. Sticks his nose in against the run when making that read, fills a hole, flows through traffic to find the ball, or adds himself into piles with reckless abandon. Comes downhill from two-deep look with speed.
Adept blitzer off the edge, makes ballcarrier pay in the backfield if not accounted for.
Incoming search terms:
- 119th pick nfl draft