- NRG Energy Pre-Game Report – Redskins vs Giants Week 3
- Washington Redskins Notes & Quotes Week 2
- NRG Energy Pre-Game Report – Redskins vs Cowboys Week 2
- NRG Energy Pre-Game Report – Redskins vs Steelers Week 1
- Redskins Announce Fan Information For MNF Season Opener
- Redskins Press Conference: Jay Gruden 9-5-2016
- Redskins Sign RB Mack Brown, 8 Others to Practice Squad
- Redskins 2016 Official 53-Man Roster: Post-Cuts Analysis
- NRG Energy Pre-Game Report – Redskins vs Bucs Preseason Week 4
- Preseason Week 3 Observations Redskins vs Bills
Flashback Friday: George Preston Marshall & Bobby Mitchell
- Updated: June 8, 2012
George Preston Marshall & Bobby Mitchell
Today we travel all the way back to the very beginning of the Washington Redskins and profile two men who will be forever linked, in burgundy and gold folklore…George Preston Marshall & Bobby Mitchell.
George Preston Marshall was one of the NFL’s biggest innovators, who ushered in several changes to the game as a whole. In 1932 he become the owner of the Boston Braves, the team would go on to change their name less than a year later to the Redskins, and five years later Marshall moved the team to Washington, DC. Sadly, Marshall is more known for the one change he wouldn’t commit to, racially integrating the team.
That is where these two are forever linked. On draft day, Marshall traded the rights to Ernie Davis (who refused to play for him) to the Cleveland Browns in return for Robert Cornelius Mitchell (Bobby Mitchell) and first round pick Leroy Jackson. Mitchell would go on to spend 40 years as a part of the Washington Redskins organization, both as a player and in the front office.
During his six seasons as a player, Mitchell never caught fewer than 58 passes. When he retired, his 14,078 combined net yards was the second highest total in NFL history. He had also scored 91 touchdowns (18 by rushing, 65 on receptions, 3 on punt returns, and 5 on kickoff returns). He amassed 7,954 yards on receptions and 2,735 yards on rushes. This past week, Mitchell turned 77.
Incoming search terms:
- george preston mitchell
- george preston marshall and bobby